Download Instructions: READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY & COMPLETELY
Take the instructions on the go. Download in PDF format.
Please make sure to take your blood pressure and all your regular medications with a small sip of water. If you have questions regarding what medications you should take, please check with the doctor prior to your surgical date for instructions.
Smoking/ E-Cigarettes/ Alcohol/ Marijuana
- There is NO smoking/e-cigarettes for 48 hours prior to surgery. We also recommend not to smoke/e-cig/vape for 2 weeks afterwards. Do NOT drink alcohol for at least 7 days following your surgery. Smoking and/or alcohol delay wound healing and are the major causes of dry sockets and infections; these are very painful. Nicotine patches are an acceptable alternative.
- If having IV sedation, smoking can cause major breathing complications while sedated.
- Even though medical marijuana is legal in Massachusetts, it is dangerous when mixed with sedations. NO marijuana use in any form or illicit substances for 7 days prior to sedation.
Before IV Sedation
- Do NOT eat or drink (including water) for 8 hours prior to the appointment.
- NO smoking/e-cigarettes for 48 hours prior to surgery. Smoking can cause major breathing complications while sedated. Brush your teeth well; if prescribed, use the mouth rinse.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with SHORT SLEEVES.
- NO nail polish/gel/acrylic, lipstick or heavy makeup on the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the entire procedure, and drive the patient home after the surgery.
- If the patient is a minor, the adult must be a parent or legal guardian
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- The patient should NOT plan to drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following IV sedation.
- Call the office before your surgery date if you have been experiencing a frequent cough, yellow or green sputum, moderate congestion, or fevers.
Before Nitrous Oxide
- Do NOT eat or drink (including water) for 2 hours prior to the appointment.
- You may drive yourself to and from the appointment.
- Following surgery, you should drink plenty of fluids with emphasis on water. Do not suck fluids through a straw. Avoid all carbonated beverages for 72 hours. Avoid foods that require chewing while you are still numb, or you may inadvertently bite yourself. Begin with softer foods and then return to a normal diet as it becomes comfortable to do so (usually 7 days).
- Apple Sauce
- Cream of Wheat
- Scrambled Eggs
- Fruit (without small seeds)
- Ice Cream
- Soft Fist/Chicken
- Mashed Potatoes
- Steamed Vegetables
- Nutritional Drinks
- Beef Jerky
- Hard/Chewy Food
NO SPITTING, NO STRAWS, NO HOT TEMPERATURE FOODS/ LIQUIDS FOR 7 DAYS.
These will cause bleeding and throbbing pain.