The loss of a tooth can compromise your ability to bite, chew, and enjoy your favorite foods. It also affects the aesthetics of your smile, potentially depriving you of self-confidence. Dental implants provide a way to replace missing teeth, achieving long-lasting and natural-looking smile restoration. At Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial Surgery, we are proud to offer dental implant placement for patients from Groton, MA.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are widely considered to be the gold standard for replacing missing teeth. The implant itself is a titanium rod that is surgically implemented into the jawbone. It is left to heal in place, fusing with the surrounding bone so that it can serve as a steady anchor for your replacement tooth.
After the implant heals in place, a connective piece called an abutment is employed. The final step in the dental restoration process is to visit your regular dentist, who will add the custom-tailored porcelain prosthesis.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
There are several advantages to dental implants over other forms of tooth replacement. These benefits include:
- Implants are the only tooth replacement method to provide active stimulation to your jawbone, helping you to avoid bone reabsorption and unwanted changes to your facial appearance. Effectively, dental implants replace your tooth root.
- Dental implants are made to look, behave, and be almost as strong as your natural teeth. Once they heal in place, your implants will allow you to eat all your favorite foods as normal.
- Unlike bridges and dentures, implants do not require healthy teeth to be shaved, extracted, or compromised in any way.
- At Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial Surgery, our doctors can place any number of dental implants to restore your smile, in some cases replacing entire dental arches with just four strategically placed implants.
- Dental implants are the longest-lasting form of tooth replacement with proper care, which also means they are the most cost-effective option over the long term.
Am I a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
During your initial consultation, your oral surgeon will evaluate your teeth and jaw, ask some questions about your medical history, and confirm your eligibility for a safe procedure. The best candidates for dental implant placement:
- Have one or more missing teeth or anticipate the need to have a tooth extracted.
- Are in good health overall, without any conditions that would compromise their safety during surgery.
- Do not have any untreated gum disease.
- Have sufficient bone density to support implants, or else qualify for options like bone grafting, zygomatic implants, or pterygoid implants.
What Is the Dental Implants Procedure Like?
All patients are unique, but typically, the dental implant placement process follows this basic trajectory.
- The first step in your journey is to meet with Dr. Garibyan or Dr. Kuang. During your consultation, you will learn more about different treatment options, and you will have a chance to ask any questions you might have.
- In some cases, you may need preparatory procedures to prepare your mouth for surgery. These procedures may involve bone grafting and/or the extraction of unhealthy teeth that the dental implants.
- On the day of your dental implant placement, local anesthesia, nitrous oxide, or IV sedation will be administered, ensuring your safety and comfort. Your doctor will carefully insert your implant into the jawbone and add a temporary replacement tooth to ensure a full smile.
- Recovery can take an average of four to five months, but tenderness and swelling usually subside after a week or so. You will gradually be able to shift from a liquid and soft food diet to more of your usual food choices.
- After the implant has successfully healed, you will return to your doctor for the placement of the abutment and finally the porcelain replacement tooth. This completes your dental restoration journey.
Schedule a Dental Implants Consultation
Our doctors have the skill and experience needed to provide safe, successful implant placement, and restoring smiles for patients in Groton, MA. Explore your treatment options by scheduling a consultation with us. Contact Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial Surgery by calling (978) 708-0080 or using our online form today.