When you lose teeth, it affects your quality of life in more ways than one, making it challenging
to bite, chew, and smile with confidence. Dental implants are widely considered to be the gold
standard for tooth replacement, offering a second chance at a complete smile. At Premier
Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial Surgery, we have the skill and experience required to
offer successful implant placement for patients from Chelmsford, MA.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is an artificial replacement tooth. The main body of the implant is surgically
inserted into the jawbone, where it functions in the same way as your tooth root. This artificial
root is left to heal in place, fusing with the bone to provide a stable anchor point for a
connective piece called the abutment, and finally a dental prosthesis that is designed to look
and behave just like your natural teeth.
Before and After
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
There are a number of reasons why dental implants are considered to be the standard of care
for patients who have lost one or more teeth. The reasons why Premier Center for Oral, Dental
Implant & Facial Surgery provide dental implants to Chelmsford include:
- Dental implants preserve the integrity of your jawbone. When you lose your natural tooth root, you also lose the ongoing stimulation that your bone requires. This can lead to jawbone reabsorption, and ultimately to unwanted changes to your facial appearance. Dental implants are the only tooth replacement method that fully replaces that stimulation, preserving the health of your jaw structure.
- Implants look, feel, and function like original teeth. It takes dental implants an average of four to five months to fully heal, but once this healing process is complete, your implants will be a permanent part of your smile. You will be able to enjoy all of your favorite foods, just like normal, without fear of your replacement teeth breaking, falling out, or slipping out of place.
- Dental implants protect the health and integrity of your adjacent teeth. Unlike other tooth replacement options, such as dentures and bridges, implants never require healthy teeth to be shaved, extracted, or otherwise compromised.
- Implants can replace an entire smile. Depending on the extent of your tooth loss, Dr. Garibyan and Dr. Kuang can place any number of dental implants. In fact, it is often possible to replace an entire dental arch using as few as four total dental implants.
- Dental implants are a long-lasting solution. Dental implants are the longest-lasting and, therefore, the most cost-effective option for replacing missing teeth. Dentures have to be constantly resized and relined, and bridges wear away the health of the teeth that support them. With proper care, implants often last a decade or more without requiring replacement.
Who Qualifies for Dental Implants?
To determine your eligibility for a safe and successful dental implant surgery, we invite you to
schedule a consultation with one of our doctors. Your doctor will assess your medical history
and evaluate your teeth and jaw, ensuring your candidacy. Almost all patients who are missing
teeth will qualify for dental implants, whether that means traditional, zygomatic, or pterygoid
The ideal candidates for dental implant placement:
- Do not have gum disease.
- Have adequate jawbone density.
- Are healthy enough to have surgery.
What is the Dental Implant Placement Process Like?
There are a few steps involved in the dental implant process. These steps include:
- An initial consultation, during which your oral & maxillofacial surgeon will ensure your candidacy for surgery and answer any questions you may have about the process.
- Any preliminary procedures you need to prepare your mouth for implant placement, such as bone grafting or the extraction of unhealthy teeth.
- The surgical placement of dental implants, which can be done under local anesthesia, nitrous oxide, or IV sedation
- A recovery process during which your implants will fuse with the surrounding jawbone. This takes around five months, on average.
- The placement of your abutment and the porcelain prosthesis. This completes your dental restoration and is typically done by your regular dentist.
Learn More About Dental Implants for Chelmsford, MA
Losing a tooth can be discouraging, but dental implants provide a second chance at a beautiful,
confident, and fully functional smile. At Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial
Surgery, our doctors maintain the highest standards of clinical quality, aesthetic outcomes, and
patient comfort. If you live in or near the Chelmsford, MA community, we invite you to contact
us for a dental implant consultation. Call (978) 708-0080 or schedule your appointment online