Tooth loss happens due to dental neglect, untreated gum disease, or facial trauma. It compromises your ability to bite and chew and may also rob you of your confident smile. Dental implants may be the answer, providing long-lasting, seamless-looking restoration. At Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial Surgery, we have a proven track record of providing successful smile restoration for patients from the Westford, MA community.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are widely considered to be the gold standard for replacing missing teeth. Each implant has three basic components:
- The implant itself is a titanium post, inserted into the jawbone to serve as an artificial root.
- These artificial tooth roots are left to heal in place, fusing with the surrounding bone. Once this is completed, a connective piece called the abutment can be added.
- Finally, your regular dentist will add a porcelain prosthesis, custom-made to look and feel like your natural teeth.
Before and After
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Our oral & maxillofacial surgeons recommend dental implants to the Westford community for a number of reasons:
- Unlike other tooth replacement options, including bridges and dentures, implants do not require any healthy teeth to be damaged or removed.
- Additionally, implants provide ongoing stimulation to your jawbone, preventing bone loss or unwanted changes to your facial appearance.
- Not only do implants look just like natural teeth, but they are nearly as strong, allowing you to enjoy your favorite foods as normal.
- Our doctors can place any number of implants. In fact, we can often replace entire dental arches using just four strategically placed implants.
- Dental implants are the longest-lasting option for tooth replacement with proper care, which makes them the most cost-effective, too.
The Best Candidates for Dental Implants
When you schedule a consultation at Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial Surgery, our surgeons will provide a full evaluation of your teeth and jaw, ensuring your candidacy for a safe, successful surgery. The best candidates for dental implants are in good health overall, do not have any untreated gum disease, and have adequate jawbone to hold the implants in place. If you lack sufficient bone, you can still qualify for dental implants via bone grafting, or zygomatic and pterygoid implants.
The Dental Implant Placement Process
Dental implant placement involves a few steps.
You will first have a chance to meet with either Dr. Garibyan or Dr. Kuang. During the consultation, you will be confirmed for surgery, and you will have a chance to ask any questions you may have about treatment options.
Some patients may require additional procedures to prepare for surgery. This may mean having bone tissue regenerated via bone grafting, or nonviable teeth extracted.
On the day of surgery, you will be warmly welcomed by our patient care team and then provided local anesthesia, nitrous oxide, or IV sedation to ensure your comfort and safety. The implants will be carefully placed in the bone, a process that may take a couple of hours.
It usually takes an average of four to five months for your implants to fuse with the surrounding bone. You will have a follow-up appointment a week after surgery, and your tenderness and swelling will subside within a few days.
Once your implants have healed, you will return to your regular dentist for the completion of the process, including placement of the abutment and the final prosthesis.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Dental implants can provide long-lasting, natural-looking smile rehabilitation. If you live in Westford, MA and want to know more about your dental implant options, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with us. Contact Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial Surgery by calling (978) 708-0080 or using our online form today.