Tooth loss is surprisingly common and can occur for any number of reasons. Whether you have lost teeth due to facial trauma, untreated disease, or dental neglect, that damage will compromise your ability to smile and make it more difficult to bite and chew. Fortunately, there are plenty of opportunities for patients who live in Leominster, MA to achieve lasting restoration of their smile. At Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial Surgery, we have a proven track record with the successful placement of dental implants, rehabilitating both form and function.
Dental Implants Explained
Dental implants are generally regarded as standard-of-care for tooth replacement, offering long-lasting and natural-looking results. Implants have three basic components:
- First, there is the implant itself, a titanium post that is carefully implanted in the jawbone, serving as an artificial tooth root.
- Once the implant has fully healed and is totally secure, a connective piece known as an abutment is added.
- The abutment is then topped with a porcelain replacement tooth, carefully made to look and behave just like your natural teeth.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
There are several reasons why implants are considered the gold standard for tooth replacement, including:
- Dental implants are the only form of tooth replacement to provide ongoing jawbone stimulation, preventing bone reabsorption and unwanted facial changes.
- Unlike bridges and dentures, implants do not require any healthy teeth to be shaved, extracted, or otherwise compromised.
- Once they heal, dental implants look, behave, and are almost as strong as your natural teeth, allowing you to enjoy your favorite foods like normal.
- Implants can replace any number of missing teeth. In fact, our doctors can often replace entire dental arches with as few as four total implants.
- Dental implants are the longest-lasting option for tooth replacement with proper care, which also makes them the most cost-effective option.
Candidates for Dental Implants
Most people who have lost one or more teeth, or who anticipate the need to have their teeth extracted, can qualify for dental implant placement. Ideal candidates do not have any untreated gum disease or any underlying conditions that would place them at high risk during surgery. Additionally, dental implant candidates need to have sufficient bone density, or else qualify for a bone graft or for zygomatic or pterygoid implants.
The Dental Implant Process Explained
Though no two patients are exactly the same, and the implant placement process may sometimes vary, the typical timeline looks something like this.
- The first step is a consultation. You will have a chance to talk with one of our oral surgeons about different treatment options, and to ensure that you are a good candidate for surgery.
- In some situations, additional procedures may be needed to prepare your mouth for surgery. Common examples include bone grating (performed to regenerate bone tissue) and the extraction of unhealthy teeth to replace them with dental implants.
- For your actual implant placement, you will be placed under local anesthesia, nitrous oxide, or IV sedation, ensuring your comfort and safety. Your doctor will then carefully insert the implants, after which you will need to take an average of four to five months to heal.
- A week after surgery, you will return for a follow-up to ensure everything is healing as it is intended. You can expect some tenderness and swelling, but these symptoms usually subside within a week or so.
- Once your implants are secured in place, you will return for the placement of the abutment and finally for the porcelain prosthesis.
Learn More About Dental Implants Near Leominster, MA
Tooth loss is common, and thankfully, there are always options for full dental restoration. At Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implant & Facial Surgery, we have significant experience providing successful dental implant placement for patients in the Leominster, MA area. Learn more by scheduling a consultation with us. Call (978) 708-0080 or use our online form today.