Tooth loss can happen for any number of reasons, ranging from facial trauma to dental neglect. No matter the cause of your tooth loss, the effects can be significant, encompassing both aesthetic and functional impairment. Dental implants represent one of the most effective options for tooth replacement, allowing you to once again enjoy your favorite foods and smile with confidence. Patients from Fitchburg, MA trust Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implants & Facial Surgery for their dental implant needs.
Dental Implants Explained
A dental implant is a small post, typically made from titanium. It is inserted into the jaw and then left to fuse with the surrounding bone, a process that usually takes an average of four to five months. This rod serves as an artificial tooth root, and once it has healed, a connective piece called an abutment may be added. Finally, your regular dentist will add a prosthetic tooth, custom-tailored to replicate the look and feel of your natural teeth.
Before and After
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants are widely regarded as the gold standard for tooth replacement. There are multiple reasons for this:
- Unlike other tooth replacement methods, such as bridges and dentures, implants provide active stimulation to your jawbone, preventing bone reabsorption and unwanted facial changes.
- Once the healing process is complete, your replacement teeth will look, behave, and be almost as strong as your natural ones. This means you can enjoy your normal diet, including all of your favorite foods.
- Dental implants do not require any of your surrounding teeth to be shaved or harmed in any way. Dental implants are unlike bridges and dentures in this regard, as those options often require affecting the health of healthy, adjacent teeth.
- Our doctors can use dental implants to replace any number of missing teeth, restoring entire smiles. In fact, we can often replace an entire arch of teeth using as few as four total implants.
- Dental implants are also the longest-lasting option for tooth replacement. With proper care, implants can last for a decade or longer without requiring replacement.
Candidacy for Dental Implants
During an initial consultation, Dr. Garibyan or Dr. Kuang will evaluate your teeth and jaw and verify your eligibility for surgery. The best candidates for dental implants:
- Are missing one or more teeth.
- Have adequate bone density.
- Do not have untreated gum disease.
- Are in good health overall.
Note that even for patients who have suboptimal jawbone, we offer options like bone grafting, zygomatic implants, and pterygoid implants, all of which can significantly increase the chances of successful implant placement.
The Dental Implant Process Explained
The typical dental implant procedure process follows this basic trajectory:
- Your journey begins with a consultation, allowing you a chance to meet with Dr. Garibyan or Dr. Kuang, learn more about your treatment options, and ask any questions you may have.
- In some cases, you may need to have a preparatory procedure in order to make your mouth ready for implant placement. This might mean having unhealthy teeth extracted or having new bone regenerated through a bone graft.
- On the day of surgery, you will be placed under local anesthesia, nitrous oxide, or IV sedation to promote your comfort and safety, at which point your surgeon will carefully insert the implant into the appropriate place along your jawbone.
- You will have a follow-up within a week of the implant placement, followed by an average four to five months of healing. During this time, you will have a temporary prosthetic to ensure a confident, natural-looking smile.
- Once your implant is healed, you will have the abutment placed, followed by you custom-made prostheses. This completes the dental restoration process. Your porcelain prosthesis will likely be placed by your regular dentist.
Schedule a Dental Implant Consultation Near Fitchburg, MA
Dental implants can provide long-lasting, natural-looking smile restoration. We welcome you to learn more about your candidacy for a successful procedure by contacting Premier Center for Oral, Dental Implants and Facial Surgery. We are proud to be a trusted provider of dental implants for patients from Fitchburg, MA. Schedule your appointment online or call us at (978) 708-0080 today.